The wind mills of Rhodes exist since the Byzantium times in the 12 th century until Italian occupation in 1943. Historical reterences record that they were build from the knights of saint Ioannis with the help of the prisoners. They were using these wind mills in order to mill the wheat for many centurys till the war.
Recent reconstructions showed that except the 3 wind mills, there are 5 more of them. In total it is said that there were more than 40 wind mills in the whole island. Their value never failed. Even when they stopped being used for milling, they became a big touristical attraction.
An integral piece of history of the island of Rhodes is the small deer of Rhodes ‘DAMA-DAMA’ or how locals call it ‘platoni’. Many people assume that it was brought from the knights of Ioannina (greek town), but this thought isn’t right while there were found too many bones of it in the 7 th century b.c It was established as the symbol of the island and nowadays they adorn the intrance of the port. Left is the male one and on the right the female one, on two columns. These deers are made of copper. Their population was redused a lot so the state decided to protect them with strict ways. So today the increased a lot. And Rhodes was called after it’s name ‘ELAFOUSA’
At the northest place of Rhodes town, in the famous beach ‘ELLI’ in the heart of the hotels of the centre you can find the Aquarium. It was build during the Italian occupation in between 1934-35 and it was open in 1936 with theme biology and hydrology of Aegean with the goal to resolve and answer problems that mattered the twelve (12) islands of the Aegean. They were also collecting sea touna of Mesogios and Aegean sea, that the locals of town were very impressed back then by these things. Armanolo Bernaditi took over this amazing construction with round windows like the ships have and one cylindrical tower in the middle, all inspires from the sea. Visitors are informed for the numerous spicies of the sea that they can watch live.
The nautical club of Rhodes, was creates in 1947 and it promotes a learning project to young people that are engages with naval and sea sports like swimming, rowing, canoe kayak, water polo, triathlon and sailing. It participates in Hellenic championships. You can find it at a beautiful historical building in the centre of Rhodes between the beach ‘Elli’ and the port. In all these years it creates a history worthy of civilization of Rhodes. The training of young Rhodian students for the sports of the club and the equipment are for free.
An ornament of the island that was built in the centre of Rhodes town producing culture for about 80 years. It was build by the Italians in 1937 so it could host theatrical and lyrical shows and other spiritual events. It’s a architecture miracle one of a kind. Its amazing echo, was an example for many new similar hall constructions. It’s beautiful and unique construction is the reason why this theatre stands out. Many theatrical and lyrical performances were watches by many prominentpersonalities in the past century, even Musolini who thought of it like his achievement. The theatre keeps in it’s files everything that took place since 1937 till today. The theatre is closed today due it’s restoration.